The Commission on Presidential Debates was a join creation of the duopoly intended to serve only the duopoly, and to freeze out any independent or third-party candidates who might pose a problem for them. This is somewhat analogous to having Pepsico and Coca-Cola dictating to the American public that they would have only two brands of soft drinks available to them: Coke And Pepsi – no 7-Up, no Dr. Pepper, no root beer, no other soft drinks whatsoever. .If you wanted to drink anything else, you would have to purchase it on the black market. I am sure the American public wouldn't stand for such behavior. However, they tolerate it, and probably aren't even aware that it exists, in the political arena.
The presidential debates are probably the single most powerful election tool for achieving our country's highest office. However, when it comes to the presidency, we might as well hang out a sign saying “Independent and Third Party Candidates Need Not Apply!” And we are deprived of their voices, their concepts and their proposals. Some of the best legislation in our country has come from independent and third-party sources.
Here are some comments from a multitude of disparate sources”
From the Media
From Other Sources
- "The Commission on Presidential Debates must be replaced if we want to have a democracy in this country." – John B. Anderson, former Republican Congressman and independent presidential candidate
- Overview of problems with the Commission on Presidential Debates and the alternative presented by the Citizens' Debate Commission.
- Open Debates has extensive documentation of the CPD's partisan biases, corporate funding, and other problems.
- Replace Bi-partisan Shows With Real Debates (September 29, 2004 op-ed)
- Documentation of the exclusion of vital issues in CPD events.
- Major newspapers endorsing the Citizens' Debate Commission (as an alternative to the CPD.
- Report of the Appleseed Task Force on Presidential Debates
- Don't Call Them Debates!
- NY Times op-ed by Paul Weyrich and Randall Robinson
- The Citizens' Debate Commission official website
- Debate This
|Presidential Debates: Fraud or Farce?|
|Problems For Third-Party Candidates|
|Congress Ignores the Will of the People|
|We Must Drive Big Money Out of Politics!|